Skip to main content

Are there government grants to help me buy an electric car?

City flourish

Government grants to help to buy an electric vehicle 

From the 14 June 2022, the following low-emission vehicles may be eligible for a plug-in grant: wheelchair accessible vehicles, mopeds, motorcycles, taxis, trucks and vans. The value of the grant will vary depending on the vehicle type. But the manufacturer takes that money off automatically, so you won’t find any saving on the showroom price.   

See the full list of eligible plug-in vehicles.  

In Scotland they’re also doing interest free loans – there’s a 6-year loan up to £28k for a new car and a 5-year loan, up to £20k, for a used one. You can find out more about these loans on the Energy Saving Trust’s website.

Charger plugged into the car

Government grants to install a electric car charge point 

The EV chargepoint grant has a £350 cap for installing a charge point in a flat or rented accommodation. The installer will take that money off your bill.

And, just like with the purchase schemes, things are slightly different in Scotland. You can apply in advance for a £250 grant in Scotland and get the discount reimbursed when you have a home charge point installed. There’s good news if you live in remote parts of Scotland too as you’ll get an extra £100 off. 

If you don’t have your own drive, your local council can get 75% towards on-street public charge points. Some councils are all over this but yours might need a nudge. In Scotland, Transport Scotland covers the other 25% of the cost for on-street public charge points.

Is an electric car
right for me?

Discover electric cars that are available through our partner CBVC today.

Discover cars available
Image of Tesla Model 3