Looking for an energy efficient home charger?
Thanks to our partner Ohme, we can help you get one. Ohme offers a variety of smart home chargers that can keep your electric car wheels turning while reducing the cost and environmental impact of charging your electric car.
You could save up to £750 a year* with one of Ohme’s smart chargers, compared with a non-smart charger. Its smart tech lets you charge at the cheapest and greenest rates, making it one of the best electric car home chargers for the environment and your pocket.
* Based on an annual mileage of 12,000 miles, charging with a standard tariff at 23p/kWh vs time-of-use tariff at 5p/kWh
What makes a charger smart?
The Government announced that from July 2019, all new home electric car charging points or stations being installed must use innovative ‘smart' ’technology. This means that they can be accessed remotely, and must be capable of receiving, interpreting, and reacting to a signal.
Ohme’s chargers are even smarter. They communicate with your car, the grid, and all energy suppliers. So what does that mean for you?
With Ohme you can optimise when you charge, manage your carbon footprint and maximise your savings on the cost of charging your electric car at home simply, through their easy-to-use app.
Their smart chargers can stop and start charging in line with periods of low demand on the grid, when prices are generally lower. This not only saves you money but also helps balance the grid.
What’s a Time of Use tariff?
To make the biggest cost savings, Ohme recommends using your smart electric car charger with a Time of Use (TOU) tariff. TOU tariffs track wholesale energy prices throughout the day. The price can change every 30 minutes and varies depending on demand on the grid.
Customers using Ohme with TOU tariffs benefit from cheap and sometimes free electricity at times of low demand, and can even be paid to charge when energy prices fall below zero.
Why choose a smart charger?
- Save money: With a TOU or variable tariff, you’ll pay less for your electricity at certain times of the day. The Ohme app uses your tariff information to charge as much as possible when the price is low to maximise your savings. Simply plug in and Ohme will reduce the cost of charging your electric car at home.
- Go greener: The Ohme server communicates with the grid which lets you charge when carbon intensity is at its lowest. Simply switch on the ‘favour greener energy’ feature in the Ohme app.
- Be in control: With the Ohme app, you can control your charging at the click of a button. You can schedule charge sessions, apply a price cap to limit your charging to a certain price/kWh, and keep an eye on your energy costs and consumption.
- Easy to install: Ohme makes installing an electric car charger as simple as possible. Its installer network can offer fixed prices for standard installations and the customer care team is there to help you every step of the way.